Wednesday 21 October 2009

The Dead Weather

 I'm still buzzing from seeing Jack White's new band The Dead Weather at Manchester Academy on Monday. They made the album sound ten times better... it was a show rather than a gig, which to me is what separates the great from the tolerable. On stage were genius musicians stepping into an alter ego, with Alison Mosshart from The Kills on vocals. They made the experienced support band (who I quite liked) look like a group of lads from the pub who had sheepishly decided to play us a few tunes that they'd put together.

The all encompassing spell of their dark, spitting goth rock blues show was crushed when the lights went up to reveal a crowd of middle aged couples in their smartest shirts and dresses, and by students wearing retro 80's (bad) 'fashion' and glam rock/Dynasty haircuts... who also loved it.

So, I recommend watching The Dead Weather's videos. And here's a photo that I took in Manchester in January, which is suitably dark.

Paper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I quite like them, but need more listens on spotty

/75jus